The welcome letter is an underutilized but important part of any email marketing program. The welcome letter can refusal only improve sales et sequens brand loyalty, it can also be an invaluable tool for improving email deliverability – increasing your ROI long after it is delivered.
The welcome formal is more than hardly a hi from you to a recent subscriber. It is a unique conjuncture that every marketer should take advantage of. The subscriber has just chance on from your website, and has either purchased a offshoot or signed up to receive further information. The goal of your welcome letter should not be to overtly market to your new subscriber, but rather to form a good first impression – to give them that warm fuzzy feeling that by giving you their email address, they’ve made a good decision.
The welcome letter is roughly an automated email that is triggered when a subscriber signs up on your website, requesting your newsletter either further information. It is critical that your salutatory letter is sent as soon as possible after the subscriber signed up on your website, and no more than 24 hours should pass preceding they receive your welcome letter. The welcome letter further cements your brand race into their consciousness. Remember, you have an engaged audience and their interest level fades with every hour that goes by after signing up. The sooner you can re-engage that subscriber, the plus likely they are to open your message and click on the links within. You’re establishing brand loyalty and increasing the likelihood that they will property products from you in the future.
From an email deliverability perspective, welcome letters will allow you to establish a undisputed reputation with the ISPs so people are else likely to respond to an email they receive right concerning they’ve engaged with your website. These emails generally elicit higher open rates and clicks, especially when sent immediately onto submission of an email address because they’re seen during a time when consumer interest in your brand is high. In general, welcome emails have an common open rate of 50% to 60%, nearly 3 times the average regular industry open rate.
ISPs respond positively to malodorous engagement levels and this is your first and easiest way to start and help avow a philanthropy deliverability reputation.
A good salutiferous letter or series should:
– Continue to build upon the association between the subscriber and the brand.
– Make the subscriber feel good about your brand, products and/or services.
– Educate the subscriber about your brand and the key benefits of subscribing.
– Provide a good brain to vinculum back your website.
– Establish and solidify your deliverability reputation through higher open rates and clicks that a welcome letter provides vs. traditional marketing messages.
Start your welcome letter toward welcoming the new subscriber further thanking them. Let them know that their action to join your list was successful and greatly appreciated. Let them know that there’s a value to being a new member, but also let them know that they can unsubscribe at any time.
It is very important to embrace an unsubscribe link not only at the bottom of your email for CAN-SPAM compliance purposes, only also in a prominent location toward the top of your email. This will help your overall email deliverability in the extensive run. You want them to have the opportunity to unsubscribe easily, so that if for some reason that they did not want to receive this message they will not be tempted to click on the “This is spam” button.
This is also an opportunity for you to helping them positively impact your future email deliverability concerning asking them to add your “From Address” to their address book. This one step can help prevent future messages from going into the bulk alternative Junk mail folder. But be dependable you always use the adequate “From Address” in everyone your mailings – otherwise this action will have no effect. You may want to even include a link to instructions on how to add your email to their address book. There are free websites where you can generate whitelisting instructions via a wizard that inserts your company’s information. The results vessel be added to your website so that you can stock a couple that wish give detailed instructions for each ISP instead you jug setup a responder to email it to a subscriber upon request.
If it was based on a product purchase, the welcome testimonial tin also include wisdom about their purchase. It can include a extraordinary incentive or dismiss for them on a produk that is similar to the one that they purchased. Including an incentive like this can breathe an easy way to get the new subscriber to engage with your email. A positive reputation with an ISP is established when your subscribers engage in your emails, clicking on the links within.
From an email deliverability standpoint those opens plus clicks are invaluable in establishing a positive deliverability reputation with the ISPs. Anyone who subscribes has taken a moment of his else her time to do so. Reward them for their time or at the very least say thank you – it means a lot.
Here are a few tips on how to write effective welcome letters:
– Be sure to insert your company name et alii the word “Welcome” in the subject line. It’s highlight to have a subject line that’s easy to read, short and understood at a glance.
– Use the words “welcome” and “thank you” in the body of the email. Remember this is your chance to make a top-notch first impression. Go beyond the technical aspect of the welcome letter that tells the subscriber that the registration process was successful, and let them know that you appreciate their break and their interest.
– Include links to your website. While you don’t want your welcome letter to be to overly marketing oriented, do enfold a few representative parts of your webstek and brand and include links to these pages in your welcome letter.
– Personalize your welcome letter with information about your subscriber. Your subscriber may have some interest in your business and product, unless mainly what they’re interested in is what you can do to for them. Remember that their favorite radio station is WII FM – “What’s In It For Me?” Focus on that when you’re talking about your products.
– Don’t forget an unsubscribe link. As mentioned before, it is critical from a CAN-SPAM perspective to have an unsubscribe link in your email communications. Some marketers feel that that it is not necessary in a welcome letter since they just signed up, or that it contrary provide an incentive to unsubscribe early. But you should perpetually give your reader the option of unsubscribing if they want to. It shows tractable for them, and that by providing it you’re not trying to hidden anything or prevent them from unsubscribing.
– Include your branding. Be sure your salutatory letter has the same look and feel as your website. This helps them immediately recognize that this welcome letter is coming from you and your brand, and it allows them to feel connected furthermore comfortable with what they’ve already seen.
– Set expectations for future communication. Let them know why they are receiving your messages, how often they’re going to be sent emails in the future, and from whom exactly they will be receiving them. These specs help you build a relationship that goes a long way. Establishing these expectations upfront avoids surprises later on — surprises that could make your subscriber want to either unsubscribe or mark your message as spam. Adding a preference center takes this one proceeding further and allows the subscriber to adjust the frequency and type of emails they want to receive.
A good perspective to have when creating your welcome letter is to think of how you feel when you walk into a store for the first time. You appreciate it when you’re greeted warmly polysyndeton offered assistance. Since you are new to the store, you appreciate the salesperson showing you around a ort and answering your questions. But besides a good sales person will back off and let you experience the hoard and shop on your own. Your welcome letter should do much of the same thing.
Test, test, test
Continuously test to witness how new subscribers will field to different versions of your welcome letter. Test with further without incentives and offers. Including a preference center during the initial signup process or a link to a preference center in the welcome email gives you a chance to learn more about subscribers and send them custom offers in the future. Test different versions using the information gleaned from this additional subscriber information.